Dwell time is the length of time people spend looking at your digital signage screen. As a general rule, marketing campaigns that entice consumers to ‘dwell’ longer generate higher conversion rates and are more effective at driving brand awareness.
Unfortunately, there is no magic formula to increase dwell time. But getting the content and the context right can help make your digital signage ‘stick.’
Great content gets noticed
Today’s consumers are easily distracted. After all, they’ve got a world of information in the palm of their hand.
No one’s going to read or remember your message if it’s boring or irrelevant. That’s why great content is a must for any digital signage campaign.
What does great content look like? Regardless of the subject, it should be:
- Useful –educates the viewer and / or prompts action
- Engaging – entertaining, surprising, or unusual
- Easily understood – uses conversational language and a well-designed visual layout
Great content also knows its audience. Are you targeting teenagers or senior citizens? Men or women? Understanding your consumer and when they are most likely to see your digital signage will help ensure that your message reaches its target audience.
Consider the context
Your digital signage is just one of many messages that consumers will be exposed to on any given day. That’s why it’s also important to consider the context of their dwell time.
- Where is the person coming from? Are they rushing to work, running errands or looking for a bite to eat between meetings? Perhaps they are on vacation or enjoying a leisurely day shopping.
- Where are they going after they see your sign? Are they walking or driving? Will they stop to make further purchases, or are they meeting friends for a night out? Did your digital signage influence what they did next?
- Customers with a long dwell time may be engaged by digital signage that is information-rich, while people rushing by probably need colourful images and punchy that grabs their attention.
- Understanding the context of your dwell time – what people are doing before and after they view your screens – can help you adjust your message accordingly.
- Great content used in the right context can help your digital signage campaigns make an impact. After all, an effective message is one that people remember, regardless of the length of their dwell time.
If you’re interested in learning more about how digital signage can enhance your customer experience and increase your sales, get in touch! One of our friendly, professional staff would be happy to answer your questions.
About EyeLook Media
EyeLook Media is a creative media company with a focus and expertise in Managed Services for all Digital Signage deployments.